Do Business Analysts Make Good Management Advisors?

This article is a controversial topic today on whether business analysts make good management advisers. It may be considered controversial since there does not exist an ideal reply to the question. Business Analysis

While there’s absolutely no perfect definition of a difference between the two functions, it is important for us to understand that jobs and roles don’t necessarily run by definitions.

Personally, I don’t believe there is a very clear distinction between the two functions. As a consultant I have in the past performed requirement planning, gathering and documentation (some of the core purposes of industry analysts) but have also worked on project management, change management, stake holder meetings beyond requirements gathering, building assets, performing GAP analysis etc..

From the strict context of a role definition, a BA deals more frequently with IT in 1 way or the other. Consultants on the other hands, I believe could be in a non IT related area of consulting too. This however disputable could potentially be regarded as an area of difference between the two functions.

Before we jump to fire the rifle, I want to be aware that this is not always the case. I know that my consulting experience entails solving customer issues with the use of technology and IT. In accordance with CBAP handbook, expertise in the following areas wouldn’t be considered for CBAP experience standards. Remote Business Analysts Jobs

Personally, I think that sucks. I think learning beyond the role is an amazing tool for career success. 1 major reason could be to differentiate the CBAP certification from PMP certification or some other certificates.